Thanks to Preeti Garg and her well managed Recipe Website – Simply Tadka!
This looked and sounded really easy and delicious too so the decision was quite simple for me!
And this turned out so well I was surprised myself! I never expected the flavours to come out perfectly well in my first attempt but they did! it was light, flavourful, aromatic and a complete meal in itself! The Kesar flavour made it special! thanks to the Taj Mahal Spanish Saffron we used! before coming to Kuwait I thought Saffron only grew in Kashmir and since we have started using the Spanish type we have figured out that is much more flavourful & aromatic than it’s Kashmiri Sibling!
And now the Recipe:
We have to cook the Chana and Rice separately, layer it with friend onions & chopped coriander and then do the final cooking in a Microwave Oven…
This would look a little too lengthy but believe me once you would make it this would be relatively quite easy & quick!
4 Cup boiled Basmati Rice
3 Tbsp. Ghee
1/4 Cup Milk
Few Strands Saffron
1 Cup Fried Onions
1/2 Cup Chopped Green Coriander
For Kabuli Chana Gravy:
2 Cup Boiled White Chickpeas
1/4 Cup Yogurt
2 medium size chopped Tomatoes
2 chopped Green Chillies
1 Tsp. julienned Ginger
1/2 Tsp. Garam masala
2 Tbsp. Coriander powder
1 Tsp. Turmeric powder
1 Tsp. Red chili Powder
Salt to taste
For Kabuli Chana Gravy:
1. Heat the ghee in a non-stick pan and splutter the cumin seeds.
2. Add the green chillies & ginger and sauté for 1 minute on medium flame.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, mash them and cook them till the ghee comes on the top.
4. Add all the spices and mix well.
5. Add the stirred yoghurt and cook on low flame for 5-7 minutes.
6. Add the kabuli chana, some water and cook for 10-12 minutes.
1. Slice the onions, fry them until they are golden brown, remove on plate and keep aside.
2. Soak the saffron in warm milk and keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
3. Soak the basmati rice for an hour, cook it with water and salt, drain the water once the rice is cooked and keep aside.
The Biryani Assembly:
1. Take a microwave safe dish (we used a Plastic one) and grease with ghee
2. Sprinkle 1/3rd of the fried onion and chopped coriander.
3. Put half portion of the cooked rice and spread it evenly.
4. Pour 1/2 portion of the saffron milk and 1/3rd of the onion & coriander.
5. Put the kabuli chana gravy over it and spread it evenly covering the rice completely.
6. Put the remaining rice and spread evenly.
7. Pour the remaining saffron milk and garnish with the coriander and fried onions.
8. Microwave it for 10 minutes and serve hot with Raita/Chutney/Achar; we enjoyed it without any accompaniment!
9. Thank me later!
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…