Thanks to Shivajee Chandrabhushan of Sikandalous Cuisine for the Original Recipe.
This is a delightful mix of subtle flavours with a host of spices and wonderfully delicious! The recipe looks complicated but it is quite straight-forward infact! do give it a shot…
The Fried Onions & Kashmiri Lal Mirch provide the brilliant colour to the gravy, The Fennel Seeds adds a twist, The Saffron builds up the Aroma and Fresh Green Coriander tops this delicious dish….
Chicken – 1 kg (Washed and cut in small pieces)
Juice of Lemon – 1/2
Green Cardamoms – 8 (Coarsely crushed)
Cloves – 6 (Coarsely crushed)
Green Cardamoms – 4
Cloves – 6
Cinnamon – 1 small piece
Bay Leaves – 3-4 small sized
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Chilli Flakes – 1 tsp
Saffron – A pinch (Soaked in warm water for 5 minutes)
Hing – ½ tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tbsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Ground Garlic of – 6 pods
Sliced Onion – 1/2 cup
Onion-pureed of – 2 onions
Yogurt – 1 cup
Green Coriander – ½ cup
Salt to taste
1. Rub turmeric powder on Chicken pieces and marinate in fresh lemon juice, Coarsely crushed green cardamoms & cloves and little salt for 2 hours after covering the bowl with cling wrap.
2. Boil water in a pressure cooker with whole cardamom. cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves. Add the chicken pieces and let them whistle 3-4 times. Take out the chicken pieces and keep the stock aside.
3. Lightly fry the chicken pieces to give color. Keep aside.
4. In the same pan fry the sliced onion. Brown it and keep aside after removing the excess oil.
5. Add the onion puree and ground garlic. Fry till oil separates and they get browned.
6. Add powders of Hing, Red Chilli, Coriander, Cumin, and Fennel in the yoghurt. Mix well. Add this to pan.
7. Add the browned onion slices. Mix well and cook until the oil separates from the mixture.
8. Add the chicken pieces.
9. Add the stock according to the gravy consistency you desire.
10. Check salt for taste.
11. Add the saffron water & chopped fresh green coriander and stir.
12. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
13. Enjoy this dish with Hot & Fresh Tawa Rotis, sliced onions and Boiled Plain Rice
14. Thank me Later.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…