He had adapted this recipe from Lathika George’s The Suriani Kitchen; this recipe is a speciality of the Malabar Muslim community and it came out very delicious indeed! I made just one change from Atul’s recipe; in absence of freshly grated coconut I used dessicated coconut. Else everything was the same!
It came out really well; the flavours of Coconut, Poppy Seeds, Cashew and Fennel combined amazingly well. The texture was smooth & creamy and the flavour was subtle & delightful!
And now the Recipe….
1 Kg Chicken cut into small pieces
4 Tablespoon Oil
2 Onions Finely Chopped
2 Tomatoes – Pureed
2 Tablespoons Ginger Paste
2 Tablespoons Garlic Paste
1 Teaspoon haldi
Salt as per taste
1 Cup Coconut Milk
Coconut Paste :
1/2 cup Dessicated Coconut
1/2 Cup Cashew
1 Tablespoon Lightly Roasted Poppy Seeds
6 Green Chilies
Spice Powder – Lightly roast and dry grind :
8 Green Cardamons
1″ Cinnamon Stick
1 Tablespoon Fennel Seeds
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and bhunno the onions until the get medium brown
2. Add the ginger & garlic pastes and cook covered on low for 4-5 minutes
3. Add the coconut paste , mix well and bhunno for 10 minutes on low flame while the fragrance of the coconut take you over
4. Add 1/2 cup water and cook covered another 5 minutes
5. Then add the tomato puree , spice powder mix , salt & haldi and cook covered till oil separates
6. Add the chicken pieces, mix well , on low heat continue to bhunno for 7-8 minutes
7. Add 1 more cup of water and allow the chicken to gently cook.
8. When the chicken is almost done slowly keep adding the coconut milk while stirring and cook till chicken is done.
9. Enjoy it with hot tawa rotis and plain steamed rice.
10. Thank me Later (you can thank Atul Sikand too!)
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…