I have had Laal Maans at multiple places in Rajasthan and the best one was the one I had during a desert camping night-out in Bikaner in Dec 2009 during the BoP Bikaner Boomerangs Ride! Most recently I had it in Udaipur & Jodhpur but somehow had never made it myself!
But this changed last night and what a fabulous tasting Laal Maans I cooked! It was fiery red, both the colour & spice quotient with mighty delightful flavours…Couldn’t have asked for a better debut….BIG THANKS to Mr. Jaspreet Nirula of Sikandalous Cuisine for his wonderful recipe….Do give it a shot folks…
Mutton: 900 gms (I got the Shoulder & Chaanp pieces)
Whole Red Chilies (I used the Kashmiri crinkled ones): 15
Garlic: 1 full pod
Oil: 3 tsp
Finely chopped Ginger: 2 tbsp
Thinly sliced Onions: 6 (medium sized)
Curd: 1 cup (whisked)
Whole Garam Masala: (10 cloves, 2 black cardamoms, 1 stick cinnamon, 2 bay leaves, 12 black peppercorns & 6 green cardamoms)
Cumin seeds: 2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Ghee: 4 tbsp
1. First prepare the red chilli paste – heat 1 cup water, put whole red chillies in it. Let it be in it for around 15 mins. Now in a blender, add garlic and the red chillies along with the water and make a fine paste. Heat a pan, add oil and bhunno this paste on medium heat stirring continuously until oil leaves from the sides. Keep it aside.
2. In a handi – melt ghee – add whole garam masala along with cumin seeds and let it crackle for a minute.
3. Add the onions along with the ginger and bhunno until golden brown.
4. Add the mutton pieces, salt and bhunno it for 20-25 minutes on medium heat.
5. Pour the beaten curd and mix in thoroughly. More Bhunno for 10 minutes.
6. And then the Red infusion! Add the red chilli paste and mix well. Bhunno this for 15 minutes more.
7. Now add water, bring it to a boil and then simmer, cover with a lid and cook on low heat until the mutton is tender.
8. Serve hot with tawa rotis and rice.
9. Thank Mr. Jaspreet Nirula first and then me later.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…