This was the first time I made it and am so glad that it came out perfectly well and very close to my Mother’s version! The biggest victory was when my wife loved it too as she isn’t a fan of the Punjabi Kadhi! I would be definitely making the Pakode waali kadhi very soon…
Hope I can cook this for my mother and my brother someday and they would be best possible judges of my version!
Ingredients for the Kadhi:
2 cups plain sour yogurt (I used Almarai brand)
9 tbsp besan (chickpea flour)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp red chilli powder
2 tsp crushed kasuri methi
3 cups water
3 tbsp pure mustard oil
2 tsp cumin seeds
Pinch of hing powder
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp coriander seeds (coarsely crushed)
4 whole red chillies
3 medium sized onions – chopped
Salt to taste
1 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
2-3 finely chopped green chillies
1. In a bowl, combine & whisk besan, yogurt,turmeric & red chilli powder, kasuri methi ,salt to taste and water to make a lump free smooth mix. Let it stand for 10-15 mins.
2. In a heavy bottomed pot, heat mustard oil and add cumin, fenugreek and coriander seeds along with hing & whole red chillies and let them splutter.
3. Add the chopped onions & ginger and Bhunno till they become translucent.
4. Remove the pot from stove and slowly add the besan-yogurt mixture and mix thoroughly.
5. Return to medium heat and let the kadhi come to a boil.This is the most important part – keep stirring and don’t let the mix curdle.
6. Once you see the kadhi starting to bubble, turn the heat to low and let the kadhi simmer for 10-15 minutes till it thickens and is rich yellow in color.
7. Switch off the flame, cover it and let it sit for 10-15 minutes
In a small saucepan, warm up the ghee and add cumin seeds to it, when they splutter, add the red chilli powder and the sliced green chillies and pour this ghee mix on the top of the Kadhi just before serving.
8. Serve with rotis or steamed basmati rice.
9. Thank me later.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…