I had recently bought khoya for the Safed Maans recipe and there was some left lying in the refrigerator which I wanted to utilize for a new creation. Searched the internet and found a brilliant recipe which I thought of making. There is a whole market dedicated to Khoya named Khoya Gali near the Chowk Area in Benaras and it is used widely in that holy city to make curries and sweets. Like many other Benares and UP special curries , this recipe doesn’t use any onion & garlic either.
I had so much to eat during our recent trip to Varanasi but somehow missed eating this local delicacy. I am glad I could recreate this here in Kuwait! This had a very different grainy & creamy texture plus I made it spicy too to make it much mellow and it came out to be very delicious indeed. This isn’t too heavy as it sounds! Do give it a try folks.
The original recipe I used from Ms. Sangeeta Khanna‘s Blog: Khoya Matar Paneer : Banaras Special
Khoya: 1/2 cup (in granules)
Green Peas: 1 cup (I used frozen)
Paneer: 1 cup (Chopped into small cubes)
Tomato Puree: 1 cup
Tomato Paste: 2 tbsp (I used the tetrapak version)
Bay Leaveas: 2
Ghee: 1 tbsp
Water: 2 cups
Salt as per taste
To be made into a fine paste:
Ginger: 1 inch piece
Green Cardamoms: 3
Black Cardamom: 1
Cinnamon: 1 inch piece
Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
Black Pepper corns: 1 tsp
Red Chilly Powder: 2 tsp (I used Everest Teekha Laal)
1. Make a fine paste of the ingredients listed with 5 tbsp water.
2. Pour ghee in a kadhai, add the tomato puree, tomato paste, bay leaves , the masala paste and salt to taste. Bhunno this for 5-7 minutes till the fat is separated.
3. Now add the Khoya in it . Bhunno for 4-5 more minutes.
4. Microwave the peas for 2 minutes and then add into the paste. Bhunno some more.
5. Add the paneer pieces and water to the kadhai. Bhunno some more.
6. Cover the kadhai and let the curry cook for 10 minutes till the curry reaches the consistency of your liking.
7. Serve piping hot with Tawa Rotis and Steamed plain rice.
8. Thank Ms. Sangeeta Khanna first and me Later.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…