First things first. I enjoyed this movie as a proverbial “popcorn entertainment” movie but it became quite boring & dragged by the time it ended. The action scenes were quite breathtaking even when they had no sense or logic behind them but then in Hollywood anything is possible when it comes to the science-fiction genre! But believe me this movie is pure fiction and no science!
My only issue with this movie was the lack of any sense behind majority of the action scenes and most of them were featured just for the heck of it to prove the supremacy of the “co-producer” Tom Cruise. Cinematic liberty is one thing but this movie defies every possible logic!
Plus most of the “Indian” reviewers who are wowing about this movie bash majority of the Bollywood movies as “baseless, illogical, senseless and piece of crap” but when Hollywood dishes out another sequel of Mission Impossible they go ga-ga till the end of eternity. Definite case of bias against desi stuff. Hollywood is allowed everything but Bollywood gets abused at the drop of a hat.
Some of the points which I noted last night during and after the movie (I wrote them down in the Evernote App so that I don’t forget them; such focus I have!).
1. When Ethan runs after Illsa rescues him, he is shot with a burst fire from an automatic assault rifle from quite a short distance but obviously no bullet can kill him and even when he was shot by an ex-secret service professional! He is shown hit later in the phone booth scene but then he is Ethan Hunt.
2. It is almost impossible to ride a motorcycle with such precision at that high speed (150 kmph plus) but then it isn’t too obvious. Ethan Hunt can put even Rossi to shame. I won’t even talk about the strength of his knees here….
3. And then obviously he didn’t get any grievous injuries after falling down from the bike at that high speed. His skin is made of not tissues but Armour.
3. The bullet is obviously lying next to him in the opera fight. Very convenient eh!
4. Ethan fitting the right control panel after apparently losing it was an obvious lucky moment. Fortune favours the brave as they say.
5. Obviously they survived the BMW car crash, it wasn’t a car it was a tank. BMW ahoy!
6. The chase in London after the restaurant scene, the 2 guys in the car wait to get off the car to shoot so that Ethan & Illsa could conveniently run away. Obviously they weren’t allowed to shoot while in the car; that’s against London City rules.
7. Obviously they didn’t kill the most notorious terrorist they pass him over to the police. The next MI part is obvious.
8. I am obviously not saying anything about the “razor thin” plot because as Alec Baldwin said Ethan Hunt is “the living manifestation of destiny” and can control anything.
I am very sure this movie is going to be a blockbuster; maybe even hit the magical 1 Billion USD mark but I would always remember the multiple yawns I endured in this “action” movie.
More power to Ethan Hunt.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…