We wanted to eat something different last night but didn’t feel like going out. Luckily had a big pack of frozen prawns so decided to make a new recipe using them! I searched for some recipes on the internet, found a real good & easy one and rest is history as they say!
This by far is the best Chettinad gravy I have ever had; yes even better than the ones we have tasted at the Anjappar restaurant here in Kuwait! I am so lucky I could get the flavours correctly in my first attempt of a Chettinad dish. This was spicy, creamy and mighty delicious combining the flavours of coconut, tamarind, curry leaves, fennel seeds and the prawns perfectly in a smoking hot curry! Do give it a shot folks and get ready for some spice in your lives!
This is the original recipe I used: Chettinad Prawns Recipe. Thanks to Sabitha for her wonderful yet so easy recipe!
800 grams cleaned prawns
1 big onion (finely chopped)
1 big tomato (finely chopped)
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
Salt as per taste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp “teekha laal” red chilly powder
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 tbsp Tamarind paste
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp oil
Ingredients for the Masala Paste:
5 dry red chillies
2 tbsp coconut (I used the dessicated version)
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp black peppercorns
2 tbsp coriander seeds
4 tbsp yogurt (curd)
8 cloves, 1” cinnamon stick + 5 green cardamoms
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1. Make a fine paste of the masala ingredients along with a little water. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a kadhai, add the chopped onions, ginger- garlic paste, half of the curry leaves and bhunno for 7-8 minutes until you get the golden brown colour.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, salt, teekha laal chilly powder and turmeric powder. Bhunno till the oil is separated.
4. Add the Prawns and bhunno for 2 more minutes.
5. Now pour the paste, bhunno for 5 minutes, add 1 cup water, cover the kadhai and let it simmer for 10 minutes on low flame.
6. Add the remaining curry leaves, tamarind paste and the coconut milk to the curry. let it simmer for sometime.
7. Check the seasoning and serve piping hot with tawa rotis and plain boiled rice.
8. Thank me later.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…