I had never even dreamt that I would be baking a full bread loaf but here I am! Thanks to my successful initial baking experiments I made this super soft, fluffy, tender and flavorful bread last night!
I had never tasted such a bread before and the fact that it came out almost perfect made me so glad. The onions and spices combined so well so give it a unique flavour! Our son also loved it and gobbled up many small pieces! This one is a must-try folks, do give it a shot!
This is the original recipe I followed: Spicy Whole Wheat Onion Bread (Khara Bread)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 1/4 tsp active instant yeast
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter(softened)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp finely chopped green chillies
1 medium onion – finely chopped fine
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp zeera powder
2 tsp milk
2 tsp nigella seeds (kalaunji) for garnish
1. Start blooming the yeast: Place 1 1/2 cups warm water in a bowl and whisk the sugar and the yeast. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes till the yeast becomes frothy.
2. Heat one tbsp of olive oil in a pan. Add the green chillies, onion and the spices. Bhunno until soft . Do not add salt to this, set aside to cool.
3. Stir salt into the yeast water. Now gently beat in one cup of whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup of all purpose flour. Add the butter and incorporate the remaining flours. The dough would get sticky but don’t add any flour.
4. Switch to a wooden spoon and stir in the onion mixture. Beat with the spoon for 5-7 minutes. Cover this with a towel and let it rest inside the oven for an (of course the oven is NOT turned on). The dough would get doubled after an hour.
5. Grease a loaf pan with butter and put the risen dough into it. Please ensure not to deflate the dough. Dust a kitchen towel with flour, lay it over the dough and set it aside for another hour.
6. The dough would have risen till the rim of the loaf pan. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C and just before you place the dough into the oven, brush the top lightly with milk, for the top to brown. Sprinkle this with the nigella seeds and bake in center of oven until it is browned, about 30 minutes. I switched on only the bottom rods for the first 20 minutes and both of them in the last 10 minutes.
7. Cool in the pan for about 30 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack before making the slices.
8. Enjoy this super soft, tender and flavorful bread just like that or with tea/coffee.
9. Thank me Later.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…