I always keep trying new traditional recipe dating back to sometimes even the royal kitchens of India. This time I gave one of the most quintessential Punjabi Recipes of yesteryears.
Belli Ram was the royal cook of Maharaja Ranjeet Singh from the Patiala kingdom, a few centuries ago and he gave birth to this magnificent recipe. And even graced by the royalty this recipe is very easy, doesn’t boast of a lengthy list of ingredients, doesn’t take much effort to prepare or cook but the result is so grand that it would make you feel royal while smelling all those aromas while it is simmering and later when you devour it!
I took the recipe from the book “Prashad: Cooking With Indian Masters” which is often considered to be the best Indian recipe book. So if you are planning to learn the fine art of cooking like me then I suggest you order this book rightaway from Flipkart or Amazon!
This was the first time I made a dish in which raw onions went into the marinade and I think that made all the difference apart from all that Bhunno and slow cooking. The taste is very simple yet quite unique.
One of those times when simplicity can result in grandeur! Do give it a shot folks to get back to the old times.
1.2 kg Meat (I got the Shoulder and Chaanp pieces)
600 grams Yoghurt
500 grams Onions
7 tbsp Ginger
5 tbsp Garlic
10 Green Cardamoms
2 Sticks Cardamom
3 tsp Kashmiri Deghi Mirch
2 tsp Teekhi Lal Mirch
1/2 cup Desi Ghee
7 tsp Coriander Seeds
Salt as per Taste
The Lamb: Clean the pieces thoroughly, pat dry and reserve
The Yoghurt: Whisk it
The Vegetables: Peel, wash and thinly slice the onions; Scrape, wash and finely chop the ginger and garlic
The Coriander Seeds: Grind them coarsely
The Marination: Mix all the ingredients, except the coriander seeds and ghee and leave it overnight covered with a cling wrap in the refrigerator
1. Heat the Ghee in a Handi and Bhunno the coriander seeds for 2-3 minutes.
2. Transfer the marinade and Bhunno for atleast 30 mintes till you get that rich brown colour.
3. Add some water, get the curry to a boil, cover and simmer on loew heat for atleast an hour.
4. Remove the lid and bhunno for some more time till the onions are completely caramelized and the ghee comes on the top.
5. Check the seasoning and keep it covered for some time.
6. Devour this dish with some hot tawa rotis and rice.
7. Thank the Royal Cook Belli Ram, Maharaja Ranjeet Singh, Jiggs Kalra and me later.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…