I wanted to make something rich and creamy for the Dussehra Dinner at my home and got hold of this recipe which suited perfectly. This came out mighty delicious and was perfect for a festive meal. It is colourful, heavy and delightful. Do give it a shot folks. Got it for my office colleagues the next day and they enjoyed it as well.
I adapted the recipe from one of the most famous recipe blog sites Cubes N Juliennes which is managed Ms. Farrukh Shadab Ansari. You can check out her original recipe at Tawa Paneer Masala which I tweaked a little bit. You can follow her blog and the Facebook page as well.
400 gms, paneer (I used Amul Frozen Paneer)
1 large capsicum, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 large tomato, finely chopped
5 tablespoon, tomato paste
5 garlic cloves, crushed
1 inch piece of ginger, crushed
2 green chilies, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 tablespoon thick cream
2 teaspoon kasuri methi
Salt as per taste
2 table spoon desi ghee
1 table spoon melted butter
1. In a bowl combine, paneer cubes, 1 teaspoon kasuri methi, 1 tablespoon of melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and little salt. Marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Heat a Kadhai and fry the paneer till the pieces get a golden hue.
3. Now heat the ghee on a tawa. Crackle the cumin seeds. Add onions and bhunno until they are picking up the golden colour.
4. Add the GG paste and green chilies, Bhunno for 5 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and bhunno for 5 minutes on high heat. Sprinkle some water if required. Cook on low heat for few minutes till the ghee comes out.
6. Add the red chili , turmeric, coriander & cumin powders plus the remaining kasoori methi. Bhunno well for 3-4 minutes.
7. Add tomato puree, capsicum and salt, bhunno for 5 minutes on high heat, again sprinkle some water if required.
8. Lastly, add the fried paneer pieces, garam masala powder and cream, Sprinkle some more water and bhunno gently on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
9. Cover and let it rest for 10-15 minutes for the flavours to seep in completely.
10. Serve hot with lachcha paratha, nan, phulka or plain rice.
11. Thank Ms. Farrukh Shadab Ansari first and me later.
Please do not add too much water while cooking this dish, water has to be sprinkled and not poured.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…