My wife & son are in India these days so I am home alone; getting bored and spending time by watching Movies and TV Series! But to break that mould I keep cooking too and today I decided to try a new recipe for breakfast; one which is wildly popular across India with different combinations – Poha!
My mother makes real delicious Poha and my wife too; both versions are completely different but very nice. My favourite Poha version is the one I have had during my Rajasthan Motorcycle Rides in Bundi and Udaipur. Nothing can match that taste for sure!
I used Ms. Pritha Dutta’s (from Sikandalous Cuisine) wonderful & easy Bengali recipe to begin my poha tryst! Her version is named Chnirer (Poha) Polao which is a traditional Bengali breakfast. I have never had this version before but is surely looked & sounded delicious! And it came out wonderfully delicious; very different from what I have had in the past plus it is quite easy to cook too. Do give it a shot folks.
Poha – 2 cups
Potato – 1/2 large (cut into small cubes)
Onion – 1 large (finely chopped)
Green Chillies – 2 (finely chopped)
Ginger – 1 tsp (finely chopped)
Bay Leaves – 2
Cinnamon Stick – 2 inches, roughly broken
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Green Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
Roasted Cashew Nuts and Raisins – a handful
Sunflower Oil & Ghee – 1:1 ratio (about 2 tbsps)
Sugar – 1 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder: 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
1. Heat the ghee-oil mix in a ceramic pan.
2. Temper with the bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and cumin seeds.
3. Add the chopped onions. Bhunno till it turns translucent.
4. Add potato cubes, ginger and the green chillies. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add the green cardamon powder, sugar, cashew nuts, raisins and salt as per taste . Mix well.
6. Now is the tricky and the most important part 😊
7. In a colander, give the poha a quick wash under running water. Strain well and transfer immediately to the pan. Mix with a light hand. Lower the flame and cook covered for 2 minutes.
8. Take off the cover. Check if the poha is done. If not, sprinkle some water on top and cover & cook for another couple of minutes.
9. Take off the flame and serve hot.
10. Thank Ms. Pritha Dutta first and me later.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…