It was Woman’s Day yesterday and I wanted to make something special for my wife; she loves Calamari so got a pack and decided to make this recipe.
I made some minor changes to Mr. Rocky Mohan‘s “Prawns Jalfrezi” recipe from his legendary recipe book “The Art of Indian Cuisine“.
The end result was fabulous! My wife loved the dish, it was quite spicy, tangy, mighty delicious plus very easy to prepare & cook! Do give it a shot folks if you are also a Calamari enthusiast like us!
Calamari: 500 grams
Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
1 tbsp Ginger Juliennes
4 whole dry Red Chillies; coarsely grounded
2 tsp Black Pepper seeds; coarsely grounded
3 tbsp Tomato Paste
2 tbsp Birista (Fried Onions)
1.5 tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp Oil
1/2 Cup Water
Salt as per Taste
For the Marinade:
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Wash the Calamari thoroughly and marinate with the listed ingredients for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a Kadhai, splutter the cumin seeds, bhunno the ginger, add both the peppers (red & black), add the tomato paste and Birista.
3. Bhunno this mix till the oil comes out, add the salt and some water, cover the kadhai and let it cook for 4-5 minutes on low flame.
4. Add the Vinegar and the Calamari; cook for 2-3 minutes, switch off the flame, cover the kadhai and let it rest for 15 minutes till the flavours are infused.
5. Serve hot with tawa rotis and steamed rice.
6. Thank Mr. Rocky Mohan first and me later.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…