I picked up this recipe from the blog of acclaimed Film Director Hansal Mehta and this is his father-in-law’s secret recipe which he ‘cracked’ after many unsuccessful attempts and much cajoling. I never knew that he is a cooking enthusiast apart from his cinematic brilliance and his blog is a very well-maintained one too.
No powdered spices have been used in this and it has quite a rustic flavour laced with caramelized onions. It has a lot of Bhunno involved so it requires patience and strong hands! I made this dish for a group of friends and each of them loved it to bits! My son lapped up the gravy with rice which made me feel even better. I just made a minor change to the original recipe – Added Liver/Kaleji pieces too.
The Original Recipe: YUSUF’S KATE MASALE KA GOSHT
Please do give it a shot folks.
750 grams Mutton/Lamb, small-medium sized pieces
250 grams Liver/Kaleji pieces
10 Medium Onions, thick slices
15 Garlic cloves, roughly chopped
4 tbsp Ginger, chopped
2 Bay Leaves (Tej Patta)
5 Black Cardamoms (Badi Elaichi)
2 Cinnamon Sticks (Dalchini)
15 Whole Black Pepper Corns (Kali Mirch)
12 Whole Dried Red Chillies
Salt, as per taste
75 gms Yoghurt, beaten
5 tbsp Oil
2 cups water
1. Heat the oil in a pan. Take half the quantity of onions and bhunno until golden brown.
2. Add the mutton, bay leaves, black cardamoms, cinnamon sticks, pepper corns, red chillies and salt. Bhunno for atleast 20 minutes on high flame until the meat changes color.
3. Add garlic and ginger. Bhunno for another 10 minutes on medium flame.
4. Add the remaining onions and water. Mix well and wait till the boiling bubbles appear.
5. Cover and cook for approximately 45-50 minutes on low flame.
6. Open the lid and you will see that onions are totally liquefied and the meat has been simmering in the liquefied onions.
7. Add yoghurt. Mix well. Cover the vessel once again and simmer for 10 minutes or until the meat is totally done.
8. Let the meat rest for at least 1-2 hours before serving for the flavours to seep in completely.
9. Serve hot with Tawa Rotis and sliced onions.
10. Thank Mr. Yusuf Husain first, then Mr. Hansal Mehta and me later.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…