I have tried 3 or 4 different Mutton Korma recipes in the past and each version came out delicious but I was missing the authentic Jama Masjid taste which I have enjoyed for so many years but miss it immensely after moving here to Kuwait. Finally I got hold of a seemingly authentic sounding & looking recipe and this time I nailed it! The flavour, aroma and gravy texture were absolutely similar to the types I have enjoyed in the by-lanes of Old Delhi’s famous Gali Kababian. I was so damn elated to have finally got it right! Our son also loved it and lapped the gravy up with Roti and Rice! Do give this version a shot folks and enjoy the authentic magic of Old Delhi!
Mutton: 1 kg (I used Chaanp pieces)
Onion: 2 Large, sliced
Ghee: 4-5 Tbsp
Ginger Paste: 2 Tbsp
Garlic paste: 2 Tbsp
Coriander seeds: 2 Tbsp
Black pepper seeds: 15
Whole red Chillies: 6
Turmeric: 1/2 Tsp
Yogurt: 1 cup (whipped)
Mace: 1/2 Tsp (ground)
Green cardamom powder:1 Tsp
Saffron – a few strands, dissolved in milk
Kewra essence: 1/4 Tsp
Cream: 6 tbsp
Salt: As per taste
1. Bhunno the onions in ghee and make a coarse paste by adding some water. Keep it aside.
2. Grind the coriander seeds, black pepper seeds, chilies and clove in the grinder to a fine powder.
3. Heat Ghee in a pan and bhunno the GG paste for 4-5 minutes.
4. Turn the heat to high and add mutton, turmeric, salt and yogurt, Bhunno till liquid dries and the mutton is fragrant and well browned. It would take atleast 20-30 minutes to get the desired colour.
5. Now add the brown onion paste and the dry ground masala. Bhunno for 5 more minutes.
6. Mix 2 cups of boiling water, cover and cook on low flame for about 30-45 minutes till mutton becomes tender .
7. After the mutton is done, add mace, green cardamom and saffron and half of the cream.
8. Lastly add kewra, cover and simmer for 10 minutes on low flame till ghee comes on top.
9. Garnish with the remaining cream and serve piping hot; enjoy this delicious dish with Rotis and Plain Steamed Rice.
10. Thank me Later.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…