I wanted to kick-start the weekend with a spicy mutton dish; searched the internet and found a wonderful recipe on a website named “MariasMenu”. This was a new style recipe for me and I loved the mix of spices & the method of cooking.
Even though the recipe sounds quite laborious, in reality it is quite easy to prepare & make. The spice quotient is very high and it was fabulous for us. The roasted coconut, onions and curry leaves add a magical flavour to the curry. Do give this a shot if you love trying new recipes which are very spicy! Obviously you can adjust the heat quotient depending on your liking.
The Original Recipe: Spicy Mutton Curry
Mutton -750 grams, cut into medium size pieces
To Roast and Grind:
Coconut – 1 cup
Whole Coriander – 2 tbsp
Dry Red Chillies – 6
Whole Black Pepper – 2 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1 tbsp
Cloves – 6
Cinnamon – a small piece
Onion – 1 medium sized, sliced
Curry leaves – A bunch
Onion – 3 medium, sliced
Ginger-Garlic Paste – 2 tbsp
Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Tomato – 1 big, sliced
Salt as per taste
2 tbsp Oil
Onion – 1 small, sliced
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
1. Heat oil in a pan and add coconut, whole coriander, dry red chilli, whole black pepper, cloves, cinnamon, onion, fennel seeds, curry leaves. Fry till the coconut turns golden brown. Remove from fire and let it cool. Grind the same without adding water. Keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add sliced onions. Bhunno them till they turn golden brown and then add ginger and garlic. Bhunno for 5 more minutes. Add chilli powder and bhunno for 2-3 mins.
3. Add sliced tomato, salt and cook till the oil comes out. Add cleaned mutton pieces and bhunno for 10-15 minutes on high flame to seal the spices. Add 2 cups of hot water and pressure cook for 10-12 whistles.
4. Add 1/2 cup of hot water to the ground masala. Mix well. Add it to the cooked mutton and cook covered on low flame for 15-20 mins. Remove from fire.
5. Heat oil in a pan and add onion and curry leaves. Fry till the onions turn golden brown. Switch off the gas and add pepper powder and coriander leaves. Add this to the curry and mix well.
6. Serve hot with rice and /tawa rotis.
7. Thank Ms. Maria first and me later.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…