In my tryst of trying recipes from the subcontinent, this was my 3rd attempt, after giving Sri Lankan and Burmese recipes a shot. And this one was a real good one; spicy, delicious, rich in flavours and quite easy to prepare. Nepalese cuisine is influenced by it’s neighbors: India, Tibet, and China. This curry’s fusion of Indian spices with the Chinese touch of spring onions results in uniquely Nepalese dish. Do give this a shot folks. I am sure you would love it too. And never ignore “Bhunno”!
The alluring colour says it all!
1kg mutton pieces with bone
3 tbsp mustard oil
3 onions, medium, finely sliced
3 Tej Patta leaves
1/4 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
3 spring onions, green tops only snipped into 1 inch pieces
2 cups water
For the marinade:
1/2 cup yoghurt
2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 tomatoes, medium, roughly chopped
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp fennel/saunf seeds
2 tbsp red chilli powder
2 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp salt
1. Grind all ingredients listed under marinade to a course paste in with a hand blender.
2. Combine the marinade paste with mutton, make sure each piece is thoroughly coated. Seal container and marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Bring back to room temperature before you start the cooking process.
3. Heat the oil and ghee in a heavy bottomed pan. Bhunno the onions until they turn dark brown.
4. Add the tej patta leaves and mutton pieces along with the marinade to the fried onions. Bhunno on high flame for atleast 10 minutes to seal the flavours.
5. Add chopped coriander and the snipped spring onion tops. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
6. Reduce the flame and now the slow cooking process begins! Let it slowly simmer over a couple of hours, adding 1/2 cup water every 30 minutes, until meat is to desired tenderness and gravy is to desired consistency.
6. Adjust the seasoning and serve it piping hot with tawa rotis and steamed rice.
7. Thank me Later.
So till the time we meet again…
Cheers to life…
Till then ride safe and have safe sex…
Hasta la Victoria Siempre…